Re: alignment issues for sse

Hi Brian,

>Wow, that's terrible news if true.

Take it with a grain of salt.  I'm just speculating.

You might want to try looking at the assembly output of the compiler, using the -S switch. It might shed some light as to what's going on under the covers, especially pertaining to alignment.

>But surely thousands of people are writing sse code... how do they make it work?

I presume by taking measures to assure the SSE structs are properly aligned.

>Do I need to switch to the intel compiler/linker?

I do not know.

>Or is there a way to tell ld to allow larger alignment sizes?

I'm not sure -- perhaps it is an option when ld is configure'd and make'd.

>Are there other linkers available for (free) use with gcc?

I do not know.

HTH,
--Eljay