Re: maintainership of fstests

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 12:24:12AM +0800, Eryu Guan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:19:35AM +0800, Zorro Lang wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 01:38:23AM +0800, Eryu Guan wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > It's almost 6 years since I've taken the maintainership of fstests, and
> > > I tried my best to keep the pace of weekly update, or at least bi-weekly
> > > update due to something like public holidays.
> > >
> > > But it's been a month since last fstests update due to my personal
> > > urgent issues, and some patches got no review for more than one month.
> > > So I think it's time to re-consider the maintainership of fstests.
> > >
> > > I will have less spare time in the foreseeable future, as I have to
> > > spend more time on my family, so it's hard to keep the weekly update
> > > pace. And six years is a long time, I think it's time to have a new
> > > maintainer.
> >
> > Hi Eryu,
> >
> > By thinking about it a while, I get up my courage to apply this job, although I
>
> Glad to hear that! I'm sure you can do it well!
>
> I'll talk to you to see how to make the transfor of maintainer go smoothly.

Yeah... if you already have a kernel.org account, then you can ignore
the rest of this email. :P

First you'll need a *stable* email service of some kind -- this
MicXXXXXX crap that increasing numbers of us are being forced to use by
corporate IT is not going to cut it.  Contributing to the gmXXX-vger
mail delay swamp isn't great either. :/

Then you'll need to create a PGP key and get enough of us who already
have kernel.org accounts (Eryu, dchinner, me, sandeen, hch, etc.) to
sign it to convince the kernel.org admins that you're legit; and so that
you can push signed tags to the git tree.  I didn't get any hits in
pgp.mit.edu or the kernel keysigning map, so I'm presuming you don't
already have one...

In the old days a signing party was easy enough when we could do that in
person at LSFMM/LinuxCon/etc, but now ... I don't know what the
verification process is.

Next you'll want a kernel.org account so that you can push branches to
git.kernel.org.  You'll also have to ask them to add you to the group
that has write access to the fstests repo:
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/accounts.html

In the meantime, if you need help pushing branches, I think at least
Eric, Dave, and I all should still have write access.

Anyways, welcome Zorro!

--D

> Thanks,
> Eryu
>
> > know I'm not the best one can handle this job. Just this project is really
> > useful for my team. Nearly from I joined Red Hat, my jobs started to around the
> > xfstests. It's a great testsuit, which can cover most of our testing. I felt
> > relieved when you toke this maintainer, and admired your courage at that time,
> > that really helps us a lot. No matter what you decide, thanks again for all your
> > help, as previous colleague, as friend.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zorro
> >

> > > Or we could go to the group-maintain way? As Darrick mentioned before
> > > (for xfs not fstests, if I recall correctly). Then we need a new primary
> > > maintainer :)
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eryu
> > >
> > > P.S.
> > > I'll keep the maintainer role and do the review & update as usual until
> > > all things settle down.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystems Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]