Re: Xft with multiple DPIs/multihead doesn't support different DPI

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Ben Stern <bas-savannah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 01:32:25AM -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Ben Stern <bas-savannah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is there truly no way to set different resolutions without using a
>> desktop environment?  How does GNOME do it?  It must tell fontconfig
>> somehow, mustn't it?
>
> Desktop environments can handle multiple differing display densities in
> different ways. They can rescale the application for example, and I *think*
> that's what GNOME does. They can also tell fontconfig different DPI numbers
> at run-time, but that's really not the hard part about it.

So there isn't any programmatic way to either:

- get fontconfig to query X for the DPI and honor the Xft.dpi resource, or

- configure fontconfig statically to use a specific DPI per screen?

If so, I'll go back to Savannah and open a feature request or something.

Fontconfig doesn't know or care about X or screens. Xft does and can do things. But Xft has been deal for over a decade now. You should file a request with KDE.