Re: FIO Windows Documentation

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 16:22, Adam Congdon <cac8907@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> FIO is a wonderful tool. Great work!!

Jens, you've got a fan! :-)

> In the documentation (readme + fio.1 files) is this description:
>

> “On Windows, disk devices are accessed as `\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0' for
>
> the first device, `\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1' for the second etc.”

When I look at a rendered man page (i.e. man ./fio.1 on the command
line) I see the number of backslashes that you say work:

              On Windows, disk devices are  accessed  as  `\\.\PhysicalDrive0'
              for  the  first device, `\\.\PhysicalDrive1' for the second etc.

>From a raw file perspective
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/master/fio.1#L565 ), in Groff
backslashes need escaping so as not to represent the start of escape
sequences and double backslash is a valid way to do this in many
cases: https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/Escapes.html
.

I can't see the text you refer to in the README but the HOWTO is
restructured text (http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html (actually
it's sphinx (http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/ ) flavoured
restructured text)). While you can read it "raw" (e.g.
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/a15abb450459195ce72d515dc564f07f7726bf5f/HOWTO#L787
) you will see all sorts of markup in it and that includes every
backslash needing escaping. When I look over at
https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-filename
I see the number of backslashes that you say work.

> This is predicated by this description:
>
> “Each colon and backslash in the wanted path must be escaped with a '\\'
>
> character.”
>

> In the case of Windows (Server 2019), the extra ‘\\’ is not required.
> My (successful) job file appears as such:
>
> [readtest]
> blocksize=1M
> filename=\\.\PhysicalDrive1
> rw=read
> direct=0
> #raw=1
> buffered=0
> #size=1G
> thread=1
>

> I would be grateful that the documentation be updated accordingly.

Can you point to where you see something wrong? Could it be that
whatever is rendering the documentation is flawed?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/