Re: automated notification for fio releases

On 10/31/18 2:28 PM, Vincent Fu wrote:
> On 10/31/18 11:05 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 20:26, Vincent Fu <vincentfu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a means to be automatically notified of new fio
>>> releases?
>>>
>>> I have seen Jens post announcements via Twitter, but that is not a
>>> social media platform I actively use. As far as I can tell, Github does
>>> not provide a means to be notified of new releases.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the solution is to monitor http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/ for new
>>> fio shortlog files.
>>
>> I think there are few things that are doing monitoring of this.
>> Repology ( https://repology.org/metapackage/fio/packages ) seems to
>> have some way of knowing, Fedora seem to use
>> https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ and I think Debian have
>> their own watcher (https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=fio ). You
>> might also be able to tell via github
>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases and I think there are atom
>> feeds off that page).
>>

> Thanks, Sitsofe. That helps a lot. I am actually seeking to be notified
> via email of new releases.
>
> I signed up to be notified of fio release-monitoring.org changes via
> Fedora notifications (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications),
> although the filter I created only produced example matches with fio-3.8
> and did not pick up any later releases.
>
> I also set up an IFTTT rule to receive email messages when updates are
> made to the github fio release atom feed
> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases.atom).
>
> Finally, I signed up to be notified via https://newreleases.io/.
>
> With any luck I should be bombarded with notifications when fio 3.12 is
> tagged.

Did it work?

FWIW, this list does receive any changes that were pushed to the git
repo. As tags are pushed, you'd see that in the "Recent changes" email
the next day. Not great, but it's something.

I don't announce all releases to twitter, and sometimes it'll be a day
or two before I do. Case in point, the 3.12 release hasn't been
announced there yet.

--
Jens Axboe