Re: Mixed seq+random worload thread

Hi,
The main thing that i am trying to do is to model the storScor in
linux enviornment
(https://github.com/Microsoft/StorScore/blob/master/recipes/write_impact_check.rcp).
So there you can control the rate of the of the writes as per the %
that is required. While running that on windows i can see that i can
have different BS and rate defined for the runs achieving expected
output.

In the above mentioned case the RND_RD will be unconstrained (i.e.
full BW they can achieve) but writes will be slowed to x% of RND_RD.
In fio when
e.g.
SEQ_WR 10% and RND_RD 90%, with seq_wr rate capped at 10% of rnd rd
(if rnd_rd was 40m)
[SEQ_WR]
rate=4m
bs=128K
rw=write
flow=9
[RND_RD]
rate=40m
bs=4k
rw=randread
flow=-1
When i run this the output that comes back shows that SEQ_WR b/w is
capped ~ 4m but RND_RD also gets severely hit for the IOPS+BW as it
tried to put the total BW under <45m>. I want that RND_RD doesn't need
to be capped and should run to it closest potential like I am see in
storScor.
Really appreciate for the support and helping me understand the limitations.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please don't drop the fio mailing list CC / send email only to me as
> it ends up in the wrong folder for me and you remove the ability for
> others to answer your question or find it via search engines. Thanks!
>
> I think you're right - there would be an impact. However if SEQ_WR
> were to go really slow (say, 9 IOPS a second) how else can the ratio
> of SEQ_WR to RND_RD you requested be maintained other than by slowing
> down RND_RD? By definition haven't you also bound the rates together?
>
> On 12 July 2017 at 22:13, abhishek koundal <akoundal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Looks like this wont be be able to control the rate if i want to just
>> for write. Looks like it will impact the rate for the reads also ,
>> what do you think?
>> [SEQ_WR]
>> rw=write
>> rate=0, 30m,0
>> flow=-1
>> [RND_RD]
>> rw=randread
>> flow=9
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I'd suggest using two threads to do this and then using flow
>>> (http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-flow )
>>> to control how many turns each gets relative to the other:
>>>
>>> [SEQ_WR]
>>> rw=write
>>> flow=-1
>>> [RND_RD]
>>> rw=randread

--
Life is too short for silly things so invest your time in some
productive outputs!!