Re: A bug in combining fsrange and verify

On Mon, Jan 27 2014, Grant Grundler wrote:

> >> You mean all of the "verify_only" support patches or specifically this patch:
> >>
> >> commit da0a7bd224bb9331f27bb4b20394dd5c8fa3acb0
> >> Author: Juan Casse <jcasse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >> Date:   Tue Sep 17 14:06:12 2013 -0700
> >>
> >>     Adds check for numberio during verify phase.
> >>
> >> I can take a look at this tomorrow... let me see if I have the job
> >> file in another email.
> >
> > It looks like it's actually catching the issue, when I take a closer
> > look.
>
> OH. Got it. :)  Good. Had me worried for a moment.

But another bug has been uncovered. If you run this:

[global]
filename=fio.ver
loops=10
verify=crc32

[random-rw]
size=31457280
rw=randrw

fio will complain about unmatched seeds in later iterations...

> BTW, it looks like there is also a bug in "random_pattern_fill"
> support. When specifying verify_pattern the problem went away.  See
> this bug:
>     https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=337651
>
> my workaround is here:
>     https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/183813/
>
> (should probably start a new thread for that)

Please do :-)

> > I'm afraid there might be overlapping ranges for bsrange=.
>
> I can reproduce with fio-2.1.2 + verify_only patches (output below).
> It's always a 512 byte long corruption which in fact would suggest
> "off-by-one" overlapping ranges.

Note that the print is actually wrong. It's verifying in extents of 512,
but does verify the whole thing. But yes, there's a bug there, but the
length print is not correct.

--
Jens Axboe