RE: Multi-thread vs. Single-thread job config

> From: fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of Josh Carter

> I believe the effect you're seeing is that multiple threads will make the
> IO look more random at the block device. Your configuration uses
> sequential writes, but with numjobs=4 you'll have each job writing at a
> different place in the device.

I concur. Multiple jobs aimed at the same device will make the workload partially random.

BTW, I omit the directory option and put the full path on the filename option. Gives clarity and seems more predictable (i.e. filename=/dev/sdh).	I think directory is only useful if you're doing multiple files on a filesystem.  (I also spawn separate fio instances instead of using numjobs.)

z!