Re: Multi-thread vs. Single-thread job config

I believe the effect you're seeing is that multiple threads will make the IO look more random at the block device. Your configuration uses sequential writes, but with numjobs=4 you'll have each job writing at a different place in the device. Thus, lots of seeks. If the jobs had rw=randwrite, you'd probably see about the same performance in both configurations.

One configuration where the 4-job config would run faster is if rw=randwrite and iodepth=1. (Or, ioengine=sync.) In that case, the 4 jobs would keep the IO queue more full than 1 job. But sequential writes with a deep IO queue (like you have) is generally the best case for a single raw block device.

Note, even solid-state/flash drives see better performance with sequential writes than with random writes.

Best regards,
Josh