Multi-thread vs. Single-thread job config

Hello

I am running fio on the top of raw block device with following two
configurations and I saw the first config (single threaded) can put
more load on the underlying storage system compared to second config
(with 4 thread). However, I expected to see the opposite side (more IO
load with multiple job compared to single job). Does it make sense to
you ? Is there any locking or handshaking between multiple jobs in the
second config that reduce the IO injection rate of fio ?

; -- start job Config 1 file --
[global]
rw=write
size=5G