Re: runtime option not working similar for all devices

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-09-12 06:33, Vikram Seth wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am testing random reads on raw devices (hdd and flash) in a host. I
>> set same runtime value (12 hrs) in test file for each device.
>> However, while the test is running the ETA for hdd test (11:53 hrs) is
>> shown as more than twice of flash (4:40hrs). Later the test for flash
>> completes while the hdd test is still running.
>>
>> I thought that having same runtime will cause the test to run for same
>> amount of time on all devices.
>> Is that not true ?
>
> The runtime option is a runtime cap, meaning that it'll stop the job
> after the specified time only. If the job finishes before that (eg you
> tell it to do 100g of IO and that takes a shorter time than the runtime
> setting), then it'll exit normally.
>
> --
> Jens Axboe

I did not give any other stop criteria, like io qty. The goal was to
stress the devices for a given amount of time.
Here is the test file for the disk (same for flash, except the filename option).

[global]
description=Standard Performance test
runtime=43200
direct=1