Re: Motherboard/Processors/Memory For Dual Processor Xen System

Ooops, I accidentally replied only to Bill. Here is what I sent to him.

I recently started working with a dual processor workstation bought from
Dell. My role is to support the hardware and get the software installed.
It is set up with two, Xeon E5645 6-core processors. Based on only about
2 hours of working with it -- they seem to make a significant speed
difference difference. This is with a mere 12 Gb of registered DDR3
memory (6 Gb per processor.) Unfortunately we can only do 12 Gb for now,
we were hitting the budget limit. I have a question out to my customer
asking about the actual experience with applications. My impression is
there is a lot more speed.

I have a second person who really maxes out cpu performance and I think
that person needs to go beyond the single processor stage. Maybe it is
time for multiple processors, each with loads of cache and cores, and
some serious memory.

Bob