Re: Motherboard/Processors/Memory For Dual Processor Xen System

Bob Cochran wrote:
> I want to build a new computer system that features dual processors, a
> lot of memory, and is able to run Xen virtualization. Install Fedora and
> Xen as the host on such a machine, and then start running a variety of
> other operating systems as virtual machines.
>
> What dual processor hardware configurations work well with Xen? For
> example will any Supermicro brand dual processor motherboard be hardware
> compatible with Xen? I am thinking of Supermicro boards with Xeon
> processors. Or is there a better brand of motherboard?

With 2-4-6 core CPUs out there, do you really need that level of cost
and complexity? I run an x58 ASUS Sabertooth board with i7-950 CPU and
24GB ram, and it seems up to most of what I even plan to do. With eight
threads I can handle lots of VMs, although I am running most with KVM
rather than xen. Newer boards will go to six (hyperthreaded) cores, but
I believe only support four sticks of mempry.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@xxxxxxx>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have