Re: Boot fails with 2.6.20-295.10.fc7

Langdon Stevenson wrote:
Ok, have just read up on 64 bit Fedora and have concluded that (as I use
this machine as a day to day workstation) I probably can't switch to the
64 bit kernel easily.

I use quite a large mix of applications, so it is likely that the 64 bit
kernel will cause me other problems even if it fixes my Xen issue.  So
my strong preference is to stick with the 32 bit kernel

Is there a particular application which could be a problem? Usually it's a matter of wanting to run a 32 bit browser so that proprietary plugins will work (yes, I'm looking at you Adobe). 32 bit apps in general should run fine on a 64 bit kernel, provided you install the relevant 32 bit libs.

Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback. I was basing my comment above on what I had found via Google on the pros and cons of 32 v's 64 bit Linux kernels.

My situation is that I have put together a new workstation that I use every day, with a 32 bit kernel and all of the application that I need (other than virtualisation). What I read suggested that I would see little benefit from a 64 bit kernel in this context

It took me almost two weeks to set up this new machine (I have just ditched Windows for Linux, so I am on a steep learning curve) with all of the applications that I need and I am scared stiff of having to rebuild from the ground up to get a xen kernel.

Given that, if I switch to a 64 bit kernel is everything still going to work? Or will it require that I start from scratch?

Regards,
Langdon