Re: What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (metherid@xxxxxxxxx) said:
>> > But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
>> > gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
>> > make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.
>>
>> I think users upgrading from a previous release can continue to get the
>> fallback mode unless they do a group installation or try to install
>> GNOME Shell specifically.
>
> How so? When we included KDE 4, we didn't leave users on KDE 3 on
> upgra
>
> Similarly, when a user has GNOME installed (and yes, the gnome-panel
> is GNOME), and they upgrade, they'll get the current version of GNOME.
> And that's GNOME Shell.

I mostly agree but the difference in this case there is essentially a
fork as the newer interface won't work on all devices that the old one
previously did so you have circumstances where it just won't work or
will crash horribly even on devices that are suppose to work (and to
see that go and check the abrt bugs against mutter that say "just
crashed when I tried gnome-shell" and the, in some cases, 100s of
dupes). I see them every day when they hit my inbox as I originally
packaged mutter and most of the gnome shell components for moblin (and
now meego) so I'm well aware of the problems there are. Where as KDE 3
- 4 didn't have hardware incompatibilities and gnome has said they'll
maintain both of the interfaces.

Peter