Re: What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

On 01/25/2011 12:29 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 09:11 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> I've added the dependency to gnome-panel. That should achieve the same
>> for gnome users on upgrade, without affecting other spins.
> But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
> gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
> make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.

I think users upgrading from a previous release can continue to get the
fallback mode unless they do a group installation or try to install
GNOME Shell specifically.   A upgrade needn't pull in GNOME Shell.
GNOME Panel is a particularly bad place to have that additional
dependency because if I have a system that doesn't support GNOME Shell
or I just don't prefer to use it yet and I am only using the GNOME
Panel,  it doesn't make sense to keep GNOME Shell installed.

Rahul