Re: What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 17:28:03 +0100,
  Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the only purpose is is to pull something in during an update there
> are smarter ways, e.g. let a virtual package that depends on gnome-shell
> provide/obsolete something that was installed before.

I was wondering if there would be a tricky way to do this kind of thing. Is
there a more detailed write up of this procedure on the wiki somewhere?
It seems like it would be good to capture this knowledge and try to put it
somewhere where packages can find it.