Console and gui/X can't be different resolution in F14?

Hi,

I recently installed F14.  I've noticed that even when I tell grub to
use 1024x768 in the consoles (vga=0x317), it starts out there, then
quickly flips to the default for the gui, 1280x1024.  I like 1280x1024
for the gui, but it is just slightly uncomfortable in the console.

When I compile a custom kernel and explicitly enable framebuffer
support for vesa modes, the consoles come out perfectly, but the gui
has a maximum resolution of 1024x768.

Is there a way to have the gui at 1280x1024 and the console at 1024x768?

And if there isn't, what would I open the bugzilla against to request
this capability?  Or is it not feasible?

My system uses the nouveau driver with old hardware (no fancy stuff).

Thanks.