Re: Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating schreef:
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 12:11 +0100, A.J. Werkman wrote:
At the moment I would advocate for a user choice NM/network-service at least until the moment that NM will be able to perform all the tasks network service does/did with the same level of quality and without the need to post configure. In fact I would be happy to always have the clear choice between configuring parameters myself and letting my computer decide what it thinks is best.

Asking users questions like this is just silly.  They're not going to
understand the difference enough to make an informed decision, and if

What do you mean by "this".

Do you mean a question in anaconda to select NM Yes or no. In that case I would say you have "the default choice" as a solution for people who do not know what they are doing. And please do not victimise the knowing by treating them as the unknowing.

Or do you mean my question asking for an opinion about this matter. In that case be carefull not to call users dumb.

they did, they'd be informed enough to do the very very simple steps to
disable NetworkManager in favor of the legacy network service.  It takes
very few lines in a kickstart %post to do it.

This is a non argument because in this respect you could strip a lot of code from anaconda because it can all be handled in the %post section. The plus of anaconda handling this is that users wil not have bother coding it themselfs. And I do not consider the choice between network and NM that extreem that it is justifiable to have users put it in %post.

Koos