Re: Problem setting up wired networking

Timothy Murphy wrote, On 11/13/2008 07:27 AM:
On Thursday 13 November 2008 11:32:48 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 16:21 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
Other drawbacks: the utter and complete lack of documentation;
$ rpm -qd NetworkManager
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/CONTRIBUTING
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/README
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/TODO
/usr/share/man/man1/nm-tool.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/NetworkManager.8.gz
That is none.

I don't know if this was intended as a response
to my complaint about the lack of NM documentation,
but if so (1) the man pages mentioned are completely useless,
consisting of a bare statement that the applications exist,
(2) I don't consider a list of AUTHORS etc to be documentation.

The only item in the above list that could be considered documentation
is README, which in my view is completely inadequate,
eg it does not explain what the various "states" (1 to 9)
listed in /var/log/messages actually are,
or what the 5 "steps" that NM apparently goes through correspond to.

It doesn't say what files NM looks at,
or how one can modify NM's behaviour.

Tim,
Could you please expand[1] your comments above a (very) little more inside of a bug report against NM documentation.

From _MY_ perspective what Jesse and some of the others are dancing around or have outright indicated, is: from the NM developers perspective, If there are no BZ entries for these problems, then the problems DO NOT EXIST. :) And even if they disagree with the BZ entry, it is easer to keep poking them and others with even a closed REFUSETOACK_WONTFIX bug number that others can reference. It even would even have the benefit of getting in writing (or at least selection box clicking) the developers opinions.

[1] or even just put what you have above in BZ so that others feeling the pain can pile on. I have done the fall back to network, so I have avoided the pain and thus don't have anything I could add to the BZ, but I know my day is coming soon.

Thanks.
--
Todd Denniston