Re: How to download a file without installing?

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 17 April 2008 20:22, Andrew Farris wrote:
You can also add a '3' to the end of your kernel parameters in grub before
you boot (edit at the grub menu for just that one time), which will get you
to runlevel 3 and just work in the virtual terminal until you've got the
network up and running (or at least the rpm installed).

Unfortunately none of these methods were successful. Adding '3' didn't boot to level 3! The method involving ftp to a mirror is out - I don't have a connection. Using Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives me a terminal and I tried the yum command from there. It said it couldn't retrieve the mirrorlist, and couldn't retrieve repository metadata. Attempting to install from a graphical file manager says that local installs are not supported. End of road, I'm afraid.

The kernel parameter should be a 3 character, not a '3' as I said, unfortunately its hard to say some of these things clearly without using an example (so as I should have done.. it should be like this): kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-1.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=8301cc68-612d-41d0-9e05-112d8fd6bc9d quiet 3

Without a network connection you can only use rpm to install (rpm -i). I hope you worked this out or got a fresh install done.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net
 gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29