Re: desktop update failure (F9beta)

Andrew Farris wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:
It really would be nice if the "Custom filesystem layout" screens in Anaconda had some rough size recommendations for us old farts who prefer a "traditional" disk layout.

As someone who micromanages my partitioning as well...

I think this is good material for the release notes and user's guide, but poor material for the actual partitioning UI. ...

I think it would be non-trivial to make this work well, ...

All I had in mind was a tab or something on the partitioning window that showed some recommended (or minimum) sizes--the same info you would put in the notes.

The interface already seems to have some knowledge of the standard partitions, and it will block if some minimum size for / is not met.

Beyond calculating space required for the installation, there seems to be a minimum working size of around 350-400 Mb for /, even when /var, /tmp, /boot are excluded. A running system will need room on / for three kernels: two installed, plus one more during a kernel upgrade, before the oldest is removed. That's at least 100M more than required for installation.

Anyway, you're absolutely right: even a simple cheatsheet is not really worth adding to the GUI. Most people are not going going to do a custom partition, and if they are, they're capable of digging it out of the notes, if they think of it. Maybe a reminder on there somewhere would be helpful though: "Partition size guidelines may be found in the release notes below".

<Joe