desktop update failure (F9beta)

My F9b Gnome desktop showed updates available, so I looked 'em over and turned it loose. I could see it download all the packages, but shortly after the transaction check, an error window (I guess--I saw something red on it) flashed very briefly, and then another dialog appeared saying that the updates were "finished" with no hint of any problem.

The panel notifier still showed 34 updates pending.

I couldn't find any errors in /var/log/messages, or any other log.

I gave up on the desktop updater and ran "yum update" from a console window.. That installed the packages; no further downloads were needed, so it surely looked like the desktop updater had indeed failed to install any packages.

It may have been a disk space issue: I only have about 10M free in /.

So, is there any way to find out why the update failed?

Is there something I should do next time updates come along to be able to collect diagnostic information?

In any case, the updater behavior seems inadequate in this case, since the error dialog was too brief to be of any use and the final status window failed to show there was any problem.

<Joe