Re: Why is named started, but not being used?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:55:08 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This looks like a train wreck in progress to me.

Like the Linux networking system isn't?  Seriously.  Apps assume that
what info they get at start is set in stone.  Works real great across
going from coffee shop to friend's house to home.  Without something
taking care of stuff, apps would fail to work.  Progress.

To be fair, if you don't have named installed, NM won't try to use it,
and will just munge resolve.conf and hope for the best.  A local
caching nameserver with changing forwarders is about the best I think
we can do right now to keep braindead apps continuing to work across
address/resolver changes.

--
Jesse Keating