Re: A couple of annoying F8t3 things

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 20:18 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 17:43 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 17:10 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Rodd Clarkson wrote:

A pause at send time suggests a DNS lookup's timing out. Could be your end, could be the server's.

What's in your /etc/resolve.conf ?
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 192.168.1.254
Do your IP addresses reverse-resolve?
not sure what this output means, but:

[rodd@localhost ~]$ host 192.168.1.254
254.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer home.gateway.
[rodd@localhost ~]$ host home.gateway
home.gateway has address 192.168.1.254
;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
"time home.gateway"
Should be quick, like this, whether it works or fails.
17:37 [summer@numbat ~]$ time host cdm
cdm.demo.lan has address 192.168.4.254

real    0m0.012s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.005s
17:37 [summer@numbat ~]$ time host 192.168.4.254
Host 254.4.168.192.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

real    0m0.298s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.009s
17:37 [summer@numbat ~]$

[rodd@localhost ~]$ time host home.gateway
home.gateway has address 192.168.1.254
;; Warning: short (< header size) message received
;; Warning: short (< header size) message received

real    0m20.050s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.005s
[rodd@localhost ~]$ time host 192.168.1.254
254.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer home.gateway.

real    0m0.066s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.005s
[rodd@localhost ~]$ time host 192.168.1.100
;; Warning: short (< header size) message received

real    0m10.009s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.006s
[rodd@localhost ~]$
Those timeouts look to me to be your problem. You can try running tcpdump on the server. Read the docs, but it's something like this:
Yeah, it would appear to be.  Sadly 192.168.1.254 is a wireless internet
router, so I don't have much control there.

Actually, it turns out I can hardwire the nameservers into the DHCP
settings instead of using the router as the nameserver.

It also turns out that the router has some issues with nameserver
lookups that the developers are aware of, but haven't fixed yet.

That might go to explain some of the messages: I only commented on those I recognised - timeouts are bad.

Having hardwired the nameservers (so I'm no longer using the router as a
nameserver) everything is working peachy now.

Thanks John for all your assistance.

This has been a pretty good tutorial on debugging; I don't know that you knew what was going on, but pretty well all the time I had a good next step, and you've been pretty good at giving the info I asked for.

 I wish all my problems were as easy:-)

I'm glad you're okay now; I was a bit concerned last evening that there might be another step or two.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait