Re: A couple of annoying F8t3 things

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 16:22 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

it is blocking a long time on /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX and compare startup
time of apps before after after deleting /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX
What I was wondering is what size* box is Rodd using, and might Evolution 's pauses be while it's saving the work file? Seamonkey does that on SL5 (Tikanga-clone), and loses keystrokes. It bugs me.

There's always a pause just after sending an email (with something down
in the status bar that is like saving file)  When I'm in compose I don't
see anything showing in the status bar, but it might be the compose
window saving the message in case of a crash (so it can offer it up when
you restart).

CPU, RAM, disk  disk speed as measured by "hdparm -t /dev/sda"

Centrino 2.0GHz
1 Gig RAM

[root@localhost ~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  118 MB in  3.02 seconds =  39.09 MB/sec

Okay, that should be reasonably quick.

A pause at send time suggests a DNS lookup's timing out. Could be your end, could be the server's.

What's in your /etc/resolve.conf ?

Do you control the mail server?

--

Cheers