Re: A couple of annoying F8t3 things

Caolan McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 16:56 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
I've noticed two annoying issues in f8t3.

1. Applications seems to take quite a while to 'appear' on the desktop.
After clicking an application on the panel (gedit, gnome-terminal, etc)
it takes about 10 secs for them to appear on the desktop.

2. Evolution (particularly compose) seems to 'pause' for 10 seconds or
so every now and then and it becomes unresponsive.  Makes typing emails
a pain in the bum (and I've seen it three times in this short email.)

I'm going to bz these, but we wondering if others have seen this too.

I've sometimes seen stuff like that happen with slightly busted
networking or something, i.e. strace -f gedit from a terminal and see if

If it's blocking significantly on something in /tmp/, that's serious. Those are unix domain sockets, and their traffic is local to the box.

it is blocking a long time on /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX and compare startup
time of apps before after after deleting /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX

What I was wondering is what size* box is Rodd using, and might Evolution 's pauses be while it's saving the work file? Seamonkey does that on SL5 (Tikanga-clone), and loses keystrokes. It bugs me.

CPU, RAM, disk  disk speed as measured by "hdparm -t /dev/sda"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait