Re: I lost Windows

Dylan Graham wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
I just typed in to the grub command line:
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
boot

I noticed that this is entered automatically (despite the bug) during the install if you add another OS during the grub configuration and point it at the NTFS partition.

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader  +1

That is close to what I expected to happen, twice, one for each NTFS partition (I think both boot).

I don't recall every having to do anything special before, and I;m not going to reinstall on that box just to find out, and it's the only 64-bit CPU I have.

fwiw I don't think your code is precisely right: some years ago, some stirrer on one of the RHL 7.x lists muttered that adding an entry "windows" might be a breach of trademark, and how do we know it's windows and not something else, maybe DOS, maybe OS/2 (NTFS and HPFS use the same partition type; really it means "installable filesystem").

The result, after some discussion, was a change to call it "other" or some such.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait