Re: Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 06:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
The prime spin still has Firefox, Evolution and three openoffice.org applications which makes sense for RHEL but not for Fedora. I would prefer something more home user oriented for Fedora.
Why on earth do you think firefox, evolution and OOo don't make sense
for Fedora users ? The only reason OOo is not on the livecd is space.
I didn't say it does not make sense. Only that there are other applications more frequently compared to OO.o presentation or spreadsheet programs. You can look at mugshot stats at http://mugshot.org/applications for some idea.

Firefox, Evolution, Openoffice.org writer, Gaim and Gnome terminal or Rhythmbox would be more appropriate IMO.

Um, I may be missing something, Rahul, but your quote above says
*verbatim* that those applications "make sense for RHEL but not for
Fedora."

That was in reference to the current selection of default applications in the GNOME panel.

And remember that the application usage you reference comes
from Mugshot, and not from the general base of all Fedora users, so it's
statistically very questionable as a basis for making decisions about
which applications to {in,ex}clude.

It is a metric which gives you an idea unless you have something better.

 Besides, isn't the Live CD spin the
answer to this issue?

How?

I'm further confused that you go on to contradict your earlier statement
about including Firefox and Evolution.

Some applications make sense for both Fedora and RHEL so that's not a contradiction.

As far as OO.o goes, once you've
got oo.o-core in a spin, it makes absolutely no sense to leave out
-calc, -draw, and -impress.

Who said anything about leaving out? I am talking about *icons on the GNOME panel*.

If it weren't for the inevitable outcry from the more paranoid
user/developer contingent, I'd say it might be useful to break out the
application reporting component of Mugshot, anonymize it, and give users
the ability to turn only that bit on:

Already suggested in fedora-desktop list. Mugshot team does not seem to be interested in doing that. We need a different application for this.

Rahul