Re: Logwatch and rawhide

On Saturday 26 August 2006 19:53, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Anne Wilson schrieb:
> >I have two FC4 boxes that send emails redirected to me, with the From:
> > field in the form logwatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I did not have to do
> > anything at all to config files for this to be correctly set.
> >
> >My rawhide installation by default sends the message as originating from
> >logwatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Is this a bug, or intentional behaviour?
> >
> >I have forced the domain part to be replaced by putting an explicit line
> >in /etc/postfix/main.cf, but cannot get the hostname to be reported.
> > Clearly getting reports from several boxes without the identifier would
> > be less than useful.
> >
> >Anne
>
> Anne,

Hi, Alexander

> with switch to the new and current stable Postfix line 2.3 the
> previously applied hostname patch was removed:
>
> * Mo Jul 24 2006 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 2:2.3.0-1
>
> - new version 2.3.0
> - dropped hostname-fqdn patch
>
> So this explains why you face a different behaviour.

I don't understand this.  Logwatch was the only originator I have seen that
added the hostname to the sender.  It was never on any of the other emails,
either to external or lan addresses.

> If you really want to send mail as originating from @david.lydgate.lan,
> then set in main.cf
>
> myorigin = david.lydgate.lan
>
> Test your change with "postconf myorigin".

I've set that, and it tested correctly.  However, running 'logwatch' still
results in the email coming from logwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx, not
logwatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (david is this box, not the offending one.)

If it has really been the intention to remove this, surely it's a big mistake?
Imagine seeing 100 logwatch reports, all coming, apparently, from your.lan.
How would you know which box has said what?

Anne