Re: CDs mount to volume name

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:31:19PM -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:

and as long as I can still use commands like "umount /dev/hdc"

This possibly you can - IF you will edit your /etc/fstab and add a
corresponding entry unless you plan to do that only as root.  In
this particular case you are lucky because /dev/hdc is not likely to
change.
No?

Are not SATA drives /dev/sd<x> - just like SCSI and USB?
Is not SATA hot-pluggable?

Even without SATA, I recently had three spinning devices inside USB2 enclosures attached to my laptop. Order of attachment (more accurately, detection) is important.

That is a problem the use of filesystem labels can help with, but it's far less likely to be beneficial with optical media.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait