Re: CDs mount to volume name

Karsten Fischer wrote:

Except when you want to use command line. The GUI (Nautilus) worked
pretty good for normal users (displaying the volume name under the icon)
previously without the need for such mount point names.

--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz@xxxxxxxxxx>

Well put. But then, how about having both? Lets say there would exist a
subdirectory within '/media' called devices, in which all devices have
their proper names? On the other hand, it might be a bit complicated,
granted. I really don't get your point - why shouldn't I use something like
'ls /media/Doom_for_Linux' instead of 'ls /media/cdrom'? If somebody

How does it make your life better? If you're working in a GUI, how does it matter what the mount-point is? In OS X it does not. In Windows it does noe.

It matters a lot when working at the commandline. In an earlier post I described how I look at CDs from the commandline. I just looked at my laptop: it has a SUSE CD in it, called "SU1000.004." I like to use one commandline comprising several commands to mount, view, umount and eject.

Can't do that if the mount-point keeps changing.

does create an application which is shipped on CD why should the
aforementioned installer fail (like posted in the post earlier)? This
behaviour is completely consistent with Fedora's boot-process (ahem,
within grub, of course), where, instead of an device like '/dev/sda' the
root-device is identified using its label, adding a lot of flexibility
(or, could add, since grub itself needs its own device-map, hope it can
get rid of it :)

Not Debian, not SUSE use the ext2 filesystem labels. _I_ found them causing problems for me when I cloned a disk:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
or similar; I found the wrong one being mounted.

Try duel-booting two Fedora Cores and/or RHELs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait