Re: CDs mount to volume name

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:27:46AM +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:

I really don't get your point -
why shouldn't I use something like 'ls /media/Doom_for_Linux'
instead of 'ls /media/cdrom'?

First of all this will be

  ls /media/Doom\ 4\ for\ Linux\ Disk\ 2\ of\ 2

which is entirely different kettle of fish.  The second - when you
will write a script which is automatically and reliably guessing
a name of your latest mount point, and quoting it properly, then let
us know.  Many will be interested.

It should be interesting to see how well various arbitrary strings
that might have been used as a volume name are handled, strings like
"Project backups/updates", "gemini:/var/log", "..", or "../usr".

Personally, I already have to deal with different systems and OS
releases that pick different mount points for my removable media,
and as long as I can still use commands like "umount /dev/hdc" and
"eject /dev/cdrom1" I don't see the issue affecting me all that
much.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.