Re: SELINUX file contexts FUBARed in fresh install?

Andy Burns wrote:

OK, I'll wait until the udev/hotplug dependencies have been fixed first

Ok.

anything more that a "restorecon -R /" required?

A reboot should follow that.

Yes that can be a bother but it requires discussion you can post to fedora-selinux list about it. Part of the development process of ensuring that we dont end up with a broken release.

No problem, one reason I'm here is that I want to see FC5 in good enough shape to upgrade a bunch of our FC3 servers, I have to admit that I blow hot and cold on SELINUX, I know what it protects against and like the idea, but it seems to do quite a lot of shooting at it's own feet ...

You are shooting the messenger there. You knew what security is. It provides restrictions and restrictions can impede flexibility. We kind of work around that by using SELinux booleans. man booleans and look at system-config-securitylevel for how to use it and then there are problems with other developers changing file paths and stuff that break SELinux policies since they are developed in a centralized way. Policies have to be associated with the packages themselves and developer have to fix policies along with development related changes they make. Making it possible is part of the reference policy work that has gone into the development tree now. We are getting there - one step at a time. Some early adopter hassles are inevitable for any technology right from the kernel to things like Xen and SELinux now but this wider exposure and feedback combine with Fedora policy of staying close to upstream benefits everybody using Linux and not just Fedora. You will have to understand that users who dont even use SELinux have been benefited from it due to the number of security issues the relevant developers found and fixed while writing those policies. It helps in more than one way for people who are completely unaware of its benefits and not even using it. Eventually it will be transparent enough and provide additional security by default which is what we are shooting for.

--
Rahul