Re: call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Andy Burns wrote:

OK, now that rawhide is bootable/installable again for me I have tried dmraid again.

With BIOS in SATA=AHCI mode I booted a rescue CD and did
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

Then changed BIOS to SATA=RAID mode, rebooted went into the ICH7R option ROM and created two arrays (a 50GB RAID1 from 50GB of each disk and a 400GB from the remaining 200GB of each disk)

Booted from rawhide 2005-12-31 with command line
linux dmraid vga=773 debug console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1

Kernel boots and starts /sbin/loader
I choose language/dhcp/http install
Machine retrieves stage2.img, starts anaconda, starts X11
then immediately backtraces the same way as it did before
http://adslpipe.co.uk/dmraidtrace.jpg

I have a via chipset with 2 80gig disks RAID-1 together.
I too grabbed the lastest bootdisk.img and did a http development install today but the install went through fine until the final reboot:

Here are some interesting things (bugs) I found out:
1. Whether using the 'dmraid' boot arg or not, I could not visually tell the difference of what anaconda actually detected in terms of a physical harddisk while in the partitioning screen. There's really no confirmation that dmraid is actually playing a part of the partitioning scheme. 2. There's an option to choose a boot loader method: to install on MBR or the front of the partition 1. What's interesting is the this screen shows the device as /dev/mapper/viahhegwhg instead of /dev/mapper/via_hhegwhg. For some reason the underscore character is chopped out. 3. I choose for LVM to auto partition my disk and the install went through normally so I *assumed* that the two drives we're mirror from the very starting, but on the first reboot, the kernel saw two conflicting logical volumes, then /dev/sdb took precendence for some reason and /dev/sda was hung out to dry. I disconnected the /dev/sdb drive and the system booted fine (granted with no raid). 4. I don't think that 'dmraid' was added to the grub.conf file automatically once installation finished.

I'm still not sure what I should be excepting but I hope the work continues in this area.
-eric wood