Re: rawhide report: 20050706 changes

Dave Jones wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:32:45PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

> If the smp kernel is to be used for newer laptops, will cpufrequency and > other power management options be included in the smp kernels.

They are already enabled.

The cpufreq, battery applet and any other pwer feature fails to function for me.

 > I had troubles with the 1411 version of the kernel not booting.

There are a few silly bits right now that need fixing in 2.6.12rc,
should work itself out over the next few days.

kernel-2.6.12-1.1400_FC5 seems to function while kernel-2.6.12-1.1421_FC5 and versions down to 1400 seem to fail. The last two at least booted.

 > I switched to the smp version and it booted, but the fan ran constantly.

No idea without more info. Was the machine completely idle ?
top output, vmstat 1 output, etc would be useful to see.

The fan raced even when I was yet to log in. Top did not have much high activity. I did not stay too long with the temps rising cpu running at high frequency and temps getting to 80C.

Would the modules from the single processor kernel be setup for the smp version? I tested both versions with lsmod and the outputs were the same for loaded modules.

> Also, someone on the regular list seems to have a laptop with HT, so > power management and frequency scaling might be desirable for these > machines.

I've not heard any mention of complaints from HT users of speedstep-centrino,
so I've been assuming it all works just fine.

The person was running the non-smp kernel version before it did not boot. Noticing it was HT he installed and booted the smp version. No discusions continued into what did and did not work. The FC3 kernel was topic in the discussion. Since no reports, maybe HT and booting the smp kernel is not common, or it works for these later processors.

Attached are the modules listed from lspci when booted into the smp kernel 1421. It seemed to match up with the uni except lacking functionality.

Thanks,

Jim

		Dave

Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                 80449  1
drm                    68949  2 radeon
parport_pc             31621  1
lp                     16585  0
parport                39177  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                22725  2
eeprom                 11345  0
i2c_sensor              7361  1 eeprom
rfcomm                 46169  0
l2cap                  33857  5 rfcomm
bluetooth              56645  4 rfcomm,l2cap
sunrpc                144133  1
pcmcia                 43000  2
ipt_REJECT              9793  1
ipt_state               5825  8
ip_conntrack           46377  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          6849  1
ip_tables              24897  3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
vfat                   17345  1
fat                    54749  1 vfat
dm_mod                 59741  0
video                  19909  0
button                 10577  0
battery                13381  0
ac                      8773  0
ipv6                  266305  8
ohci1394               39305  0
ieee1394              303385  1 ohci1394
yenta_socket           26829  2
rsrc_nonstatic         17089  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            44761  3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
ohci_hcd               26209  0
shpchp                 96965  0
i2c_ali1535            11333  0
i2c_core               24897  3 eeprom,i2c_sensor,i2c_ali1535
snd_ali5451            28421  1
snd_ac97_codec         81597  1 snd_ali5451
snd_seq_dummy           7621  0
snd_seq_oss            35649  0
snd_seq_midi_event     10945  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                54097  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         12621  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            54257  0
snd_mixer_oss          21953  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                90949  3 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              28485  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    57765  11 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              13217  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         14409  1 snd_pcm
natsemi                31137  0
floppy                 62613  0