Re: --as-needed compile option?

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:23:42AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 15:34 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

we've looked at this; one of the problems is that this needs to be a per
package thing; there are valid setups where --as-needed breaks (eg apps
that have plugins can break).

What kind of stuff do they do that breaks?  I assume that apps that use
dlopen() have error checking for it.  Are we talking about weak-linking
here or something? (weak linking AIUI == ld not resolving symbols until
they are actually used)

the most obvious bad case is where a program links to a lib in order to have
plugins use functionality from those libs, but where the program itself
doesn't use any functions from the lib.

And why does the plugin not link to the libs?