Re: Can I Get a FC4T1 Installation Summary?

Gerry Tool wrote:

Tino Meinen wrote:

Can I avoid the MBR issue in advance of the installation? Is YUM a
confirmed problem?

MBR issue: run linux expert at the boot prompt, and when you get into the install, before you start installing the packages, hit alt+f2 to switch to the second console. dd if=/dev/hda of=/root/mbr bs=512 count=1 should save your MBR into /root/mbr. Hit alt+f7 to go back to your install (i'm assuming you are running graphical install). After all the packages have been installed and before you reboot, go back into the console, and cat the saved mbr into /dev/hda.

That is great, thanks!
So with this I can get my bootprogram in the MBR back the way it was.

But now i'm puzzled: how does one get a new bootrecord in the
bootpartition so that one can chainload to boot into FC4t1?

Tino

If you are using GRUB from another Linux partition, boot that system, mount the partition for FC4T1, open its /etc/grub.conf in an editor and insert the appropriate lines from it into the /etc/grub.conf for the system that is controlling the MBR.

If this isn't your case, some more explicit description may prompt someone to provide a suitable answer.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Is GRUB on FC4test1 working OK? Can I just install the FC4test1 version of GRUB in the MBR and then update the new grub.conf file with the information the was in my old grub.conf file? From what I have read the problem is only with people not wanting FC4test1 to install grub on the MBR. Is that the case?