Re: Introducing Steam + video game testing criteria

On Thu, 2023-04-20 at 08:20 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I would like for us to have some testing criteria around gaming and
> Steam so that we can ensure we're offering a working gaming experience
> in Fedora Linux releases. This is motivated by the issue we had in the
> F37 cycle where glibc broke popular multiplayer games[1]. I was
> reminded of this when I launched Steam today on F38 and zenity
> crashed[2].
>
> I would like to propose the following criterion for Steam itself as a
> Beta Blocker bug:
> "Steam MUST be able to be installed and have its basic functionality
> work with no visible errors. Basic functionality for Steam includes:
> logging into a Steam account and installing a Windows/Proton game and
> a Linux/SteamOS native game."
>
> For gaming itself, I would like to propose the following criterion as
> a Final Blocker bug:
> "Steam games identified as Deck Verified by ProtonDB.com (see
> https://www.protondb.com/explore?selectedFilters=whitelisted) MUST
> launch and let the user play the game. This criterion is not intended
> to judge performance, merely accessibility. At least one
> Windows/Proton game and one Linux/SteamOS native game MUST be tested
> in this manner."
>
> Now, the tricky issue here is how to wordsmith the check for
> anti-cheat systems. I don't want to specifically call out just EAC,
> but I also don't know of a good mix of games with different
> anti-cheats. The important thing is to catch regressions and see if
> it's something we can resolve. In the EAC case from F37, it was easy
> for us to deal with, but if it's genuinely broken in a way we can't
> deal with it on the Fedora side, I don't know what we're supposed to
> do, so I'm wary of doing some kind of blocker criterion for that.
>
> I'd also like this to be imposed on both release-blocking desktops:
> GNOME and KDE Plasma.
>
> Any ideas welcome and appreciated!

I'm against this. We have never blocked the OS on proprietary third-
party applications. I don't think it's a path we want to go down.

I'm in favour of testing common third-party stuff before release and
fixing it if we can, but we have always said we will not block Fedora
on this, and I don't think we should change that.

(I did actually test Steam, but I used the flatpak version, not RPM...)

I'm fixing the zenity bug, BTW.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA