Re: new criterion proposal: Window manager functionality

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 5:48 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The desktop environment must work correctly when displaying common application content - that includes regular application windows, video output, games and possibly other common content. Regular operations like windows close/resize/maximize/minimize/fullscreen (when supported/applicable), windows switching, using windows on virtual workspaces, and similar common operations must behave as expected.

Thinking like an editor for a moment, this feels a little redundant in
places. I agree with the general concept, so this is entirely a
presentation issue and I will not push back if you disagree. :But how
about something more like:

The desktop environment must perform regular operations like windows
close/resize/maximize/minimize/fullscreen (when supported/applicable),
windows switching, using windows on virtual workspaces, and similar
common operations as expected. Common application content such as
regular application windows, video output, and games must be displayed
correctly.

> Footnote - "What does this cover?":
> A small number of misbehaving applications is not a violation of this criterion. The goal of this criterion is to ensure general functionality for different types of applications and their operations. An example of a violation would be e.g. if a significant number of QT applications couldn't be resized (but they should be), or if all Java applications failed to display any content.

I'd also add something that makes it clear if it's the application not
displaying the content correctly, that's out of scope for this
criterion. I can't think of a good way to phrase that. But I wouldn't
want someone to think Joe's Fancy Pew Pew Pew Game having a glitchy
display would violate this.

> I think this criterion could target F38 Beta Release Criteria [3] or Basic Release Criteria [4].

Definitely Basic for the same reason as Neal gave.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His