Re: F37 seems to require a reboot after updates of firmware packages in order for firefox to run.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:00:55 +0200
Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Stan,
>
> I do not experience this behaviour with Fedora 37. The only thing that
> happens to Firefox is that

Must be something on my system or in my configuration.  It only started
within the last few months.  There have been massive updates to F37,
and firefox has moved 2 versions, so hard to track down.

>  *it requires to be restarted* when the application gets an upgrade
> using the DNF way.
>
> In that case, I hit "Restart Firefox" button that comes with the
> message and my Firefox closes and reopens in the couple of seconds
> and I am using its newer version without the need to restart the
> whole machine.
>
> I never upgrade via Software because it takes so long and needs
> restarting.

Yeah, I'm strictly dnf as well.  But I usually do my dnf updates in a
console without the GUI running, so that might be part of the problem.
X is started with startx, and without a greeter / desktop manager, and
there might be some dependency on that.  It isn't such a hardship, but
I'll keep watching to see if I can find a cause.  It only occurs after
updates, a cold start never has issues, and without updates I can stop
and start X without any issue as well.