Re: Proposal: Explicitly allow Council to waive Edition self-identification

On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 13:50 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> ## Proposal
>
> Modify the "Edition self-identification" criterion to explicitly give
> the Fedora Council the ability to waive the blocker status of bugs
> that violate this criterion. Specifically, append the following to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_36_Final_Release_Criteria#Self-identification
>
> > The Fedora Council, as the body that defines Editions, may vote to waive this criterion at its discretion through its regular decision-making process.
>
> I included "as the body that defines Edition" to make it clear that
> the Council's ability to waive this criterion follows from its
> ownership of what an Edition is and not as a broad "the Council can
> waive arbitrary criteria" statement.
>
> The reason I said "regular decision-making process" is to indicate
> that waiving a blocker under this criterion requires a normal ticket
> vote[1], not a policy change[2].
>

> ## Context
>
> During F35, Adam discovered that our Cloud deliverables were calling
> themselves an Edition when they are not. This violates the "Edition
> self-identifications" Final release criterion.
>
> We waived this for F35 under the "late blocker exception". The Cloud
> SIG is working to re-Editionify Cloud, but that won't happen for F36.
> The Council agreed to waive this[3], but we don't have an explicit
> mechanism to allow this. Hence, the proposal above.
>
> [1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/council/#_making_decisions
> [2] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/council/policy/policy-change-policy/
> [3] https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/389#comment-785482

So nobody has objected to this, and we've brought it up in QA and
blocker review meetings, and in the Council thread; I'm gonna go ahead
and implement it so we can apply the waiver to the bug report. Thanks
for the proposal, Ben.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA