Re: Proposal: Explicitly allow Council to waive Edition self-identification

On Tue, 2022-03-15 at 08:11 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 5:33 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > FESCo has a "make this a blocker" button... I kind of feel an itch for a
> > generalized "sometimes stuff comes up" lever that goes the _other_
> > direction, rather than a very specific carve-out.
>
> Like Adam, I fear we'd be too tempted to use it as a "YOLO, ship it!"
> button. It wouldn't happen right away, but slowly, we'd become more
> comfortable with waiving more things. I think there are more likely to
> be cases where we'd want to block on things (e.g. "wow, this bug will
> be really embarrassing when reviewers find it, but it doesn't actually
> violate any criteria") arbitrarily than cases where we'd wave. In the
> "this should be a blocker, actually" case, we can lean on FESCo to use
> their blocker power to apply it, so I don't think Council needs an
> explicit authority there. We already have exceptions to allow some
> blockers to be waived, and I think most of the ones we'd want to waive
> could be handled under those.
>
> Also, as a group we're pretty good at word lawyering when we set our
> minds to it, so we can find ways to say "this bug does not violate a
> very specific interpretation of the criteria" if it comes down to it.
> :-)

And to expand on this a bit - I'd say that Council *does* have the
power already, if it comes down to it, to say "we have decided that the
release criteria should say XXX. Make it so." And I actually would
prefer Council do *that* if it comes to it, than just be able to say
"whatever the release criteria say, bug YYY is not a blocker". It seems
somehow more transparent and in line with the goal of making consistent
decisions to me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA