Re: is an accidentally reverted Fedora feature/change a blocker?

I generally agree with Adam's points. We don't want to add tests for
every accepted Change proposal. In particular, the "updating X to
version Y". That said, I think we should be checking for certain
paradigm-shift or otherwise notable changes. Changes to the default
filesystem, moving to Wayland by default, etc. are obvious candidates.
Some key "how" or performance changes, too (e.g. WirePlumber,
systemd-resolved). Looking at the last four releases, there are 2-3
per release that I would put on that list.

One thing we could do is to require a check with QA in Change
proposals (the way we require a check with Rel Eng). This would be a
good, early opportunity to adjust criteria or test cases, when needed.

I do think we should be careful about relying *solely* on our release
criteria. They're an important part of the process and give us a lot
of objectivity and predictability. But we're not producing a release
to meet the criteria, we're producing a release to give our users an
experience. (I don't love that phrasing, but I hope the intent is
clear enough.) So if we're shipping something that passes the criteria
and test cases, but doesn't give the intended experience, then our
criteria/tests are wrong.

We'll never be able to test everything exactly, but if there's a way
we can close the gap in a sustainable way, we should do that.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His