Re: After today's updates, rawhide boots fine to multiuser, but my script to boot X with LXDE no longer works.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 13:09:13 -0700
stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:34:17 -0700
> stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > There have been no updates to rawhide most of this week.  Today a
> > slug of updates came through, 271 for 775 MB.  After those updates,
> > run when the system was in multiuser, the system locks when I try to
> > start X.  I rebooted and received the same result; multiuser boots,
> > X doesn't and locks the system. I haven't investigated extensively
> > yet, but I don't find any bugzillas or other messages about this.  I
> > thought I would post a heads up about it, and attach a file of the
> > dnf transaction log that caused the problem.  I don't see anything
> > that should have caused this issue in the updates, but it might be
> > an obscure library that has changed ABI.  The keyboard still is
> > active, but when I try to use the REISUB sequence to recover, no
> > dice.  I have to hard reset the computer.
> >
> > The command that is causing the lockup is
> > startx -- vt10
> > with
> > exec startlxde
> > in $XCLIENTS
> >

> Some further information indicating the problem is xinit.  On my
> system, that is still an f35 package, though many of the packages it
> depends on are now f36.  I wonder if that isn't the problem.  Should I
> open a bugzilla against xinit?  Or should I try rebuilding the xorg
> packages locally and seeing if that is the problem?  The only direct
> dependency package in the update seems to be glibc.  Could that
> somehow be the issue?  That the xorg stack has to rebuilt with the new
> glibc?  binutils isn't listed as a dependency, but could it be
> affecting X somehow?

Compiled the server, xinit, and xauth packages locally, made no
difference.  I think that lets glibc off the hook.  The line that is
different from when an X start succeeds is:
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
Don't know where that is coming from, will have to track it down.