Re: After today's updates, rawhide boots fine to multiuser, but my script to boot X with LXDE no longer works.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:34:17 -0700
stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There have been no updates to rawhide most of this week.  Today a slug
> of updates came through, 271 for 775 MB.  After those updates, run
> when the system was in multiuser, the system locks when I try to
> start X.  I rebooted and received the same result; multiuser boots, X
> doesn't and locks the system. I haven't investigated extensively yet,
> but I don't find any bugzillas or other messages about this.  I
> thought I would post a heads up about it, and attach a file of the
> dnf transaction log that caused the problem.  I don't see anything
> that should have caused this issue in the updates, but it might be an
> obscure library that has changed ABI.  The keyboard still is active,
> but when I try to use the REISUB sequence to recover, no dice.  I
> have to hard reset the computer.
>
> The command that is causing the lockup is
> startx -- vt10
> with
> exec startlxde
> in $XCLIENTS

Some further information indicating the problem is xinit.  On my
system, that is still an f35 package, though many of the packages it
depends on are now f36.  I wonder if that isn't the problem.  Should I
open a bugzilla against xinit?  Or should I try rebuilding the xorg
packages locally and seeing if that is the problem?  The only direct
dependency package in the update seems to be glibc.  Could that
somehow be the issue?  That the xorg stack has to rebuilt with the new
glibc?  binutils isn't listed as a dependency, but could it be
affecting X somehow?

"""

*** Replacing existing ~/.Xclients or creating new one.
Starting X with LXDE...
xauth:  file /home/stan/.serverauth.3347 does not exist
xauth: (stdin):2:  unknown command "0a4862ba6b1a93c3728819b71229a730"

X.Org X Server 1.20.11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System:  5.12.13-300.fc34.x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux fedora 5.15.0-60.20211107.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 7 08:47:47 MST 2021 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-60.20211107.fc36.x86_64 root=/dev/sdb10
Build Date: 23 July 2021  12:00:00AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.20.11-2.fc35
Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                                (==) Log file: "/home/stan/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 21 10:52:24 2021
                                (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
                                (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
                                xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.xinit: giving up
                                                                                                                                                             xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  xinit:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  server
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  error

The package that contains xinit is xorg-x11-xinit.  It has the following dependencies.

# dnf repoquery --deplist xorg-x11-xinit
Last metadata expiration check: 4:33:13 ago on Sun 21 Nov 2021 08:02:51 AM MST.
package: xorg-x11-xinit-1.4.0-12.fc35.x86_64
dependency: /usr/bin/bash
provider: bash-5.1.8-3.fc36.x86_64
dependency: /usr/bin/sh
provider: bash-5.1.8-3.fc36.x86_64
dependency: coreutils
provider: coreutils-9.0-2.fc36.x86_64
dependency: glibc >= 2.33.9000-43.fc35
provider: glibc-2.34.9000-21.fc36.i686
provider: glibc-2.34.9000-21.fc36.x86_64
dependency: libX11.so.6()(64bit)
provider: libX11-1.7.2-3.fc35.x86_64
dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.34)(64bit)
provider: glibc-2.34.9000-21.fc36.x86_64
dependency: rtld(GNU_HASH)
provider: glibc-2.34.9000-21.fc36.i686
provider: glibc-2.34.9000-21.fc36.x86_64
dependency: xhost
provider: xhost-1.0.8-2.fc35.x86_64
dependency: xorg-x11-xauth
provider: xorg-x11-xauth-1:1.1-9.fc35.x86_64

"""