Re: Preserving the home on btrfs

On 8/24/20 3:25 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 1:18 PM Brandon Nielsen <nielsenb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

Is the "I would like to make additional space available" checkbox going
to grow subvolume support? Right now your only option is to blow away
the entire btrfs volume from a previous install.

Not yet.

That option is only for Automatic partitioning and it has no reuse
capability no matter what storage stack layout there is. The current
thinking is that it's already too many choices and UI for users, and
it was proposed to be removed at one point. But because it has a
fairly simple interface for resizing NTFS, and dual boot with Windows
is important, the proposal to remove this UI was abandoned.

One advantage of coming up with proper naming convention (or xattr)
for subvolumes, to "tag" them as serving an unambiguous purpose:
snapshot and rollback regime policy is top on that list, but also it'd
be possible for automatic partitioning in to offer some minimal UI to
"reuse home - create new home" option. It might be a while. Right now
it's Custom or Advanced-Custom UI's for reusing such things.

Good to know, thanks! I was mostly curious. I struggle to come up with a good use-case for space reclaiming to support sub volumes. I only ever use it for testing dual-boot setups.

I do feel like that whole spoke is too complicated, with 2 different partitioning UIs. I also don't like that after you select Custom, there is really no going back to "regular". But that's a separate issue.