Re: Preserving the home on btrfs

On 8/24/20 2:12 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 4:40 AM Alessio <alciregi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
I was performing some random test of F33.
There is a thing that I can't understand.
If I reinstall the system on an disk where I already installed Fedora
33 before, and I want to preserve the content of the home subvolume, is
this feasible? I tried various things using Anaconda, but I'm still not
able to figure out how to achieve this task.

It is possible.

Using Custom partitioning UI, I suggest in order:

1. Create /boot/efi or BIOS Boot mount point (can be reused or reformatted)
2. Create /boot mount point (can be reused or reformatted)
3. Create / mount point (this is required to be a new subvolume)
4. Locate the home subvolume you want, the current UI it's pretty easy
to find if there are no snapshots; if there are many snapshots, you'll
have to look around for it.
5. Click on that subvolume, and on the right hand side at the top,
find Mount Point field; type in /home; click Update Settings button.
6. Click Done

This is a rough draft :) I'm going by memory.

Is the "I would like to make additional space available" checkbox going to grow subvolume support? Right now your only option is to blow away the entire btrfs volume from a previous install.