Re: Suggest a new criterion for Suspend.

On Thu, 2020-04-09 at 07:02 +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:36 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I agree that there are better ways to handle this in VMs, but I'm not
> > certain it shouldn't be considered for qemu-kvm VMs, because that code
> > base is something completely controllable in free and open source
> > software. There should be no BIOS/UEFI, ACPI, kernel, or systemd bugs
> > that we can't fix. If it fails, it suggests a real bug somewhere.
>
> I'd very much like this. A pure software solution that always needs to work
> and we can use it as a baseline for regression testing. But at the same
> time, if the VM suspend got broken, but it would not affect real hardware,
> I have no doubts its release blocking status would quickly be demoted at a
> blocker review meeting. Because blocking on it makes sense from QA
> perspective, but not from Fedora release perspective. So I don't think this
> is a viable approach.
>

> > But
> > I'd also ask whether that's also practical, maybe ask the kernel team.
> >

> That would be my other concern. This requires a lot of expertise in
> multiple very low level areas. And the fact that it currently *doesn't*
> work for VMs suggests that it is not a priority for people who have these
> skills.

Yeah, I'm basically with Kamil here. It'd be very convenient for *us*
if we could treat this as a thing that was expected to work, but I
don't think it makes a lot of sense for anyone else (possibly upstream
kernel would appreciate it for the same testing purposes, but that's
about all I guess). So it'd be nice but I suspect it's not practical :/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey