Re: criterion proposal: prevent services timing out on system shutdown

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Richard Ryniker composed on 2020-03-17 14:33 (UTC-0400):
>
> > Is shutdown in three minutes instead of three seconds an aggravation
> > for the user who wants to use a new kernal or another operating
> > system?  Yes.
>
> When the UPS says the battery is exhausted, must shutdown now, it's more than just
> an aggravation.

Yep, good point. I'm not familiar with systemd, upowerd, and UPS
integration and policies - but for sure there are use cases where
heavy write workloads can so thoroughly dirty a filesystem that it can
take many minutes to flush to stable media. But I expect that the
design of this system accounts for the peak usage time to stop all
processes cleanly. You don't really want to lose that data. But at a
certain point, you'd want to SIGKILL everything anyway, so that
there's time for sync() to return. The systemd reboot/shutdown does
umount or remount read-only; both fully flush all file system data and
metadata to stable media. But this might take longer than just sync()
so I think in such cases you really want sync() to succeed, and the
shutdown is nice to have.

--
Chris Murphy